22 June 2005

Beginnings

Monday was our 13th wedding anniversary. We didn't do much to celebrate--Jon got me a gift and card, and I ordered a gift from Amazon that will be here in mid-July. I forgot that shipping to Germany--even with an APO address--would take longer. Silly thing to forget, but I've been even more disorganized than usual since we got here.

We've been living here in southern Germany for a little over a month, so we don't exactly have babysitters at the ready to take care of our almost-3-year-old if we want to go out. So dinner at home, then spend 2 hours trying to get our daughter to go to sleep. Collapse into bed at 10:30 or so. Then start talking, trying not to stay up too late and yet still connect as husband and wife rather than as Mama and Papa.

Anyway, I decided to try out this blogging thing as a way to keep in better contact with those of you we left in the States. And to keep my writerly muscle exercised, because I have not written as regularly as I would like to since Katrina was born and I became primarily a stay-at-home mom.

So, welcome to a new beginning--of this blog and of our life in Germany. I hope you like it here.

1 comment:

Charlene said...

Speaking from the other side of the Atlantic, Jon and I (Jon's parents) are also in the midst of a new experience. For the first time in 35 years, we do not have one or more kids living in the same general area where we live. We thought we understood empty nest a long time ago, but now we are having to get used to empty tree and empty forest as well.

In other words, we miss seeing Jon, Jen, and Katrina on a frequent basis. We miss catching up on news we would never hear, like how Wendy likes married life and when Jen's parents are coming to visit. And we miss babysitting for Katrina so that Jon and Jen could have some free time together. These darn new experiences just keep popping up, and there's nothing to do but accept them.