05 March 2008

Attention Easter Bunny


Katrina doesn't like Jelly Beans. They are "too sour." Um, ok, the first ingredient is sugar and the second is high-fructose corn syrup, but whatever. Not liking candy is a good thing, health-wise.

But peas are now off the (short) list of acceptable vegetables. Last time I served them, she ate them and liked them and asked for more. Last night? "I don't like them anymore."

Rice, plain or flavored? "I don't like that anymore." Rice, people! The blandest food on earth!

This is in addition to disliking anything remotely spicy, such as chili or goulash, two of our (former) easy-meal standards.

And yet she now likes my relatively spicy Amy's Cheese Enchiladas. Even though she's tried and said "too spicy" at least five times in the past year. Now I must buy one for her and one for me. She does like tacos, as well (no salsa or lettuce, please).

She still likes corn...but only the way we make it on the stove. When she eats frozen kids meals (occasionally), the corn there goes uneaten.

Bananas and grapes no longer hold the appeal they once had, although she does not dislike them, per se. She no longer likes plums, though.

Oh, and no peanut butter.

And then there was the other day at the commissary, when for the second or third time, she begged me to buy Cocoa Pebbles. Since one of her usual cereals wasn't there, I complied. As we were standing in line for the register, she suddenly said, "Mama! I forgot! I don't like those anymore!"

A rotating menu of spaghetti, pizza, fish sticks, fried chicken, and schnitzel (but only at a restaurant, not homemade), with liberal helpings of french fries and mayonnaise, maybe an apple once in a while, would be just fine with her. Or, we could just give up and buy an industrial-sized barrel of Chee-tos.

On the other hand, she has recently decided that she likes cottage cheese and apple butter. Maybe there's hope yet.


Meanwhile, I've been eating a lot of green olives. And grapefruit juice. And garlic hummus with potato chips. And more green olives. And pickled beets for a change. And queso cheese dip. And maybe just a few more olives. And Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs, which are a poor substitute for what I'm really craving. But only between the hours of about 10:30 am and 2:00 pm. By the time it's time to make dinner, I'm feeling a bit queasy. I blame it on the pregnancy, but it could be all those olives. I bought cheese-filled green olives at the German grocery store the other day. Isn't it about lunch time?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love your blog! Will be going to Carlisle, PA this summer if you're still hankering for the candies!! :)