06 July 2005

First Day of School

Katrina went to preschool for the first time today. The teacher said she did really well. I guess she had fun because...

The first thing my adoring child said to me when she saw me: "I don't want to leave!"

Aw, isn't that cute. She enjoyed her first day of school.

She ran away from me back into the classroom. C'mon, sweetie, time to go. We'll come back tomorrow.

"I don't want to go home!"

I managed to get her out to the car relatively quietly, and then, well, there was crying, screaming, jumping up and down. "I don't want to gooo home!"

We had to go back in to "go potty." And then we got into the car with crying but no piercing screams (I take what I can get).

It's about a 10 minute drive back to the house. She cried all the way there. And from the driveway into the house.

She stopped crying abruptly at the sight of a new box of Elmo fruit snacks among the groceries I brought in from the car. Thank goodness she's still a little bit distractable.

Didn't I hear somewhere about children having trouble separating from their moms on the first day of school?

Not our little adventurer!

2 comments:

LaShaunda said...

Glad to hear she loved school.

They always seem to surprise us. We're the ones having the seperation problem. They wave goodbye like they do it everyday.

My two went off to pre-school with me all teary eyed. They loved it. I hope the love last.

LaShaunda

Jennifer said...

Yes, here I was, nervous and teary all morning, and that's the thanks I get! :)

Today I drove K. and another little girl on a school outing to the bowling alley (was supposed to be the zoo, but pouring rain forced a plan B). Again, she loved it. Didn't want to go home. No crying, though, just a little whining.